On April 27, 1147, Pope Eugene III, present in France after the second crusade, attended the chapter of the order held in Paris. He granted the Templars the right to permanently carry a simple cross, but anchored or pate, which symbolized the martyrdom of Christ. The authorized color for such a cross was red, which was the symbol of the blood shed by Christ, as well as that of life. Since the crusade vote was accompanied by the taking of the cross, carrying it permanently symbolized the persistence of the Templar crusade vote.
The cross was placed on the left shoulder, above the heart. In the case of the gentlemen, on the white mantle, symbol of purity and chastity. In the case of sergeants, on the black or brown mantle, symbol of strength and courage. Likewise, the Temple banner, which is called beauséant or bauceant, also included these two colors, white and black.